Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Innocence of Childhood




During one of the Inauguration events, I saw a brief clip of a concert in honor of the new first family. Malia Obama, 12, had a digital camera in hand and was taking pictures of the performers, in particular Usher. I chuckled to myself thinking sweetie don’t you know who you are? You don’t have to take a picture of Usher from a distance. You’re the President’s daughter and not just ANY president but the first Black one. That means you can meet anyone your little heart desires from Usher to Oprah to Hannah Montana to the Jonas Brothers. But then I remembered the innocence of childhood. Children are so innocent in their thinking and while the Obama girls are two of the most recognized people on the planet it hasn't gone to their heads. The Obamas have done a fabulous job of maintaining an unbelievable level of humility. Clearly, they (the children) have not gotten caught up in the hype. Kudos, to the Obamas for keeping it real and not letting the hype destroy their children's innocence. As we all grow older, we unfortunately lose our innocence and often times become quite sarcastic, ego-centric, and just downright mean. Let’s think back to our childhood, if you could reclaim your innocence and optimism what area would you apply it to in your adult life?

9 comments:

Jamey said...

ooo thats a hard one, I would have to say forgive and forget. I think kids are so good at that. I can do forgive, but forget is soooo hard for me.

joanofalltrades said...

Excellent post! What ever do you mean? I never lost my innocence! LOL! Let me stop before a lightning bolt strikes me down. I would definitely apply innocence and optimism into raising a family and starting a new career. I pray that the Obama girls can remain as grounded as they are now for the rest of their term and the one after. Virtual fist bump!

jmt said...

This is a wonderful question. :) I had these thoughts as sort of an epiphany about a year or so ago. I don't do well with it, mind you, but one thing I vowed to remember was to always give benefit of the doubt. And children forgive so easily and tend to not hold grudges. These things I try and remember each day. I'm blog hopping...came from SITS roll call to Christie-work in progress, and now I'm here. :) Have a happy Monday.

Anonymous said...

This is a great question and a great post. I sometimes would like my innocence back when it comes to dreams. Believing that I can do and achieve anything. Now that I am adult there are so many ideologies that hold me back. So I'm trying to break through them all. But if I could believe like a little kid does, I really would achieve anything.

3 Bay B Chicks said...

The family life that the Obama's have created is definitely inspirational. I couldn't agree more. Great post!

What would I recapture from my youth? The geniune surprise and anticipation for holidays and birthdays. It is something that subsides with age and it really shouldn't.

-Francesca

Dorkys Ramos said...

I'd probably say going for what I want and my dreams without the fear of failure. Just taking that leap of faith. Also playing and laughing more instead of working my life away. And I agree with the others, forgiving and forgetting.

Nice post and thanks for the visit!

www.JusticeJonesie.com/blog said...

that's a good question... maybe if I knew my outlike on life would be even better right now --LOL

I love these girls and I just can't get over them! Thanks for visiting MamaLaw and your interest in Blogalicious 2009!

Unknown said...

I love how the Obama's are keeping their girls grounded! Fantastic! As for me and my "innocence"...uh...don't make me go there! Just kidding. That is tough but I tell you what, being an adult is really hard. I miss being a young naive kid who's greatest joy was when the ice cream man came down the street.

Anonymous said...

the ability to not pre-judge, or if not pre then waaaaay too quickly have i decided that i do/don't like somebody